~ 1891 - 1976
Max Ernst was a German (naturalised American in 1948 and French in 1958) painter, sculptor, graphic artist, and poet. A prolific artist, Ernst was a primary pioneer of the Dada movement and surrealism. He had no formal artistic training, but his experimental attitude toward the making of art resulted in his invention of frottage—a technique that uses pencil rubbings of objects as a source of images—and grattage, an analogous technique in which paint is scraped across canvas to reveal the imprints of the objects placed beneath. He is also noted for his novels consisting of collages.
His life was an interesting mix of dynamics with people he met, married and became frieds with. Be sure to read more about him on Wikipedia and the Max Ernst website.
My interest in his art was to see if there were connections with bdsm/fetish art.
One album shows art from the book Une semaine de bonte ou les sept elements capitaux, part 3, published in 1931. The other are mixed artworks.
2 albums/30 artworks
To view all artworks you need to login
Make sure that you are logged in as premium member to view and download all artworks. Select one of the options that applies to you:
- I am already a member, let me login
- I don't have an account and need to sign up, let me register
- I did have an account but forgot my password
- I want to check my account
- I am considering to become premium member but I have questions, please read the faq or contact me.
- I am a premium member but I have problems viewing premium content, please contact me.