~ First published in 1899
The book Le Jardin des supplices (Garden of Torture) is a novel written by the French journalist, novelist and playwright Octave Mirbeau, and was first published in 1899 during the Dreyfus affair. The novel is dedicated: "To the priests, the soldiers, the judges, to those people who educate, instruct and govern men, I dedicate these pages of Murder and Blood."
It was translated into Spanish in 1900, into English in 1903 and a Italian translation was published in 1917. Of course this site does focus on art, so I tried to see if multiple artists illustrated for this book.
Artist that illustrated:
- Auguste Rodin (1840 - 1917) in 1902
- Raphaël Freida (1877-1942) in 1927
- Carlo Ferneti (1892 - 1961) in 1927
- Edouard Leon Louis Warschansky (1892 - 1970) aka Edy Legrand in 1935
- Pierre Leroy (1880 - 1950) in 1945
Not all artists are included, either because the art was not bdsm related or truly cruel (like the art from Freida) which I do not want to share. However the history about this book feels related to bdsm art, so I am trying to find some balance here.
- Album 1 - Carlo Ferneti (1927)
- Album 2 - Edy Legrand (1935)
- Album 3 - Pierre Leroy (1945)
- Album 4 - Mixed
4 albums/23 artworks
To view all artworks you need to login
Make sure that you are logged in as premium member to view and download all artworks. Select one of the options that applies to you:
- I am already a member, let me login
- I don't have an account and need to sign up, let me register
- I did have an account but forgot my password
- I want to check my account
- I am considering to become premium member but I have questions, please read the faq or contact me.
- I am a premium member but I have problems viewing premium content, please contact me.